Are you a creative communications professional with a passion for arts and culture? Bemis Center’s Communications Assistant helps share the organization’s mission, engage audiences, garner support for Bemis programs, and maintain consistency and authenticity through all Bemis communications including the implementation of a new brand and launch of a new website in 2021. The ideal candidate enjoys being a part of a team that works collaboratively across departments and thrives in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
This is an opportunity to join an energetic and collegial staff at one of Omaha’s most unique arts organizations. Applicants of all races, genders, sexual orientation, religion, ethnicity, national origin, and all other characteristics that make us different are encouraged to apply. Ideal candidates share our values of creativity, trust, courage, diversity, tolerance, and the open exchange of ideas and worldviews.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Graphic Design – Design materials for use on Bemis Center’s website, social media, email, digital monitors, and printed materials including postcards, brochures, flyers, and Time + Space quarterly journal, among others.
- Website – Maintain accurate and up-to-date content on Bemis Center’s current and new website including copy-editing, proofreading, and ensuring consistent style and brand. Transfer and publish content to the new website through the use of a content management system. Assist with the implementation and management of appropriate SEO and website analytics tools.
- Email – Draft, edit, design, and distribute outbound email campaigns to support Bemis Center programs and initiatives, including bi-monthly e-newsletters and periodic membership and public program promotions. Assist with the creation and implementation of strategies to increase the size of the Bemis Center email communications list. Conduct routine maintenance and cleanup of email lists.
- Social Media – Assist with content creation and management of the Bemis Center’s networks on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vimeo, and LinkedIn. Keep up-to-date on platform and industry trends. Assist with the creation and implementation of strategies to increase the number of fans/followers and to increase audience engagement on social media platforms. Ensure that the Bemis Center’s social media channels remain responsive, innovative, collaborative, and engaging.
- Online Advertising – Responsible for online placement of advertising and promotions for residency open calls, career opportunities, exhibitions, and public programs.
- Event Photography and Videography – Take photographs and video at Bemis Center public programs, performances, tours, residency events and outings, and donor cultivation events for use in multimedia projects (video, social media, presentations, website). Maintain a well-organized photo and video archive. Edit and upload photo and video content to the website and other digital channels.
- Writing – Assist with writing for print and online communications, public relations, and marketing.
- Brand Management – Assist with strategies and tactics to effectively launch Bemis’s new brand and increase brand awareness, ensuring consistent brand identity and style are maintained throughout all communications. Help implement the new Bemis brand identity across all Bemis communications.
- Bachelor’s degree in marketing, communications, public relations, journalism, graphic design, or a related field
- Minimum of two years experience as a communications or related professional, preferably in the context of a small-to-medium-size arts organization or other nonprofit organization
- Exceptional written communication skills with superior grammar and spelling, including the ability to produce compelling and concise copy for online media
- Outstanding verbal communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including Board Members, strategic partners, media, and the public
- Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel), Adobe Creative Cloud (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and Acrobat), social media and online/digital communication platforms required (experience with Drupal and MailChimp preferred)
- Knowledge of SEO (search engine optimization) and online analytic tools
- Must be able to respond to fast-paced social media environments and to evolving conversations online in real-time
- Photography and intermediate-level video production/editing skills
- Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail
- Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization
- Ability to have a flexible work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Understand and promote Bemis Center’s mission in a clear, spirited manner
- A successful reference check
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Benefits package provided, including medical, paid holidays, and paid time off.
During the pandemic, this position currently has the option to work from home or at the office when not photographing/filming an event or program (a laptop will be provided).
For immediate consideration, please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample, up to three graphic design samples, and the contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with “Communications Assistant” in the subject line.
Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to creating a diverse environment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.