Position Title: Communications Assistant
Company Name: Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
Location: Omaha, Nebraska, 68102, United States
Job Function: Communications/Marketing
Reports to: Communications Director
Job Type: Part-time
Entry Level: Yes
Job Duration: Indefinite
Min Education: BA/BS/Undergraduate
Min Experience: 1-3 years
Required Travel: 0-10%
Posted: May 1, 2017
Founded in 1981, by artists for artists, the Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts supports today’s artists through an international Artist-in-Residence program, temporary exhibitions and commissions, and innovative public programs. Located in the historic Old Market district, the Bemis Center serves a critical role in the presentation and understanding of contemporary art, bridging the community of Omaha to the global discourse surrounding cultural production today.
A founding member of the Alliance of Artists Communities, the Bemis Center’s core mission has been to provide artists from around the world dedicated time, space, and resources to conduct research and to create new work. Frequently cited as one of the top international residency programs in the United States, the Bemis offers artists private live/work studios, financial support, technical/administrative assistance, and opportunities for intellectual discourse about contemporary art through free public programs such as panel discussions, lectures, and knowledge-sharing workshops. To date, nearly 900 artists have participated in the residency program.
Alongside the residency program, the Bemis Center presents 6–8 exhibitions each year in approximately 12,000 square feet of gallery space, focusing on contemporary art by national and international artists at all stages of their careers. The exhibition program often commissions artists to develop ambitious, temporary projects at the Bemis and throughout Omaha.
Now in the 36th year since it’s founding, the Bemis Center is seeking a Communications Assistant to help to advance the organization’s mission. This position is part-time with the potential to become full-time.
The Communications Assistant supports all aspects of the Bemis Center’s annual Communications/Marketing Plan including marketing, advertising, and public relations strategies and tactics. Reporting directly to the Communications Director, this team member will assist with writing, graphic design, website content management, email communications, social media, online/digital advertising, photography, and video production. This is an opportunity to join an energetic and collegial staff at one of Omaha’s most unique arts organizations.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Writing–Assist Communications Director with writing for print and online communications, public relations, and marketing as requested.
• Graphic Design–Assist with design of materials and components for use on Bemis Center’s website, social media, email, digital monitors, and on printed materials.
• Website–Maintain accurate and up-to-date content on the Bemis Center’s website including copyediting, proofreading, and ensuring consistent style and brand. Publish content to the website through the use of a content management system. Assist with implementation and management of appropriate SEO and website analytics tools.
• Email–Draft, edit, and distribute outbound email campaigns to support Bemis Center programs and initiatives, including bi-monthly enewsletters and periodic membership and public program promotions. Assist with creation and implementation of strategies to increase the size of the Bemis Center email communications list. Conduct routine maintenance and cleanup of email lists.
• Social Media–Assist with content creation and management of the Bemis Center’s networks on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Vimeo, and LinkedIn. Keep up-to-date on platform and industry trends. Assist with creation and implementation of strategies to increase the number of fans/followers and to increase audience engagement on social media platforms. Help to ensure that the Bemis Center’s social media channels remain responsive, innovative, collaborative, and engaging.
• Online Advertising–Responsible for online placement of advertising and promotions for residency open calls, opportunities, exhibitions, and public programs.
• Event Photography and Videography–Take photographs and video at Bemis Center public programs, tours, residency events and outings, and cultivation events for use in multimedia projects (video, social media, presentations, website). Maintain well-organized photo and video archive. Edit and upload photo and video content to the website and other digital channels.
Minimum Qualifications and Education:
• Bachelors degree in marketing, communications, graphic design, or a related field;
• Minimum of two years experience as a communications or related professional, preferably in the context of a small-to-medium-size arts organization or other nonprofit organization;
• Exceptional written communication skills with superior grammar and spelling, including the ability to produce compelling and concise copy for online media;
• Outstanding verbal communication skills and the ability to build and maintain relationships with stakeholders at all levels of the organization, including Board Members, strategic partners, media, and the public;
• Excellent computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media, and online/digital communication platforms required. Experience with WordPress, Adobe Creative Cloud, and MailChimp preferred;
• Knowledge of SEO (search engine optimization) and online analytic tools;
• Must be able to respond to fast-paced social media environments and to evolving conversations online in real time;
• Photography and intermediate-level video production/editing skills;
• Strong organizational skills and impeccable attention to detail;
• Creative and strategic thinker with the capacity to take initiative and to work independently and as a team player in a fun, yet demanding arts organization;
• Ability to have a flexible work schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends;
• The ideal candidate will understand and promote the Bemis Center’s mission in a clear, spirited manner;
• A successful reference check is required.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience.
For immediate consideration, please submit a one-page cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample, up to three graphic design samples, and the contact information for three professional references to email@example.com with “Communications Assistant” in the subject line.
The Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer.